Here at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy we're lucky have a small team that is happy to assist with marketing, communication, and promotional efforts. If we can't help you create something, we will connect you with the right people for the job.
We provide services and resources like templates and logos as well as support for writing, video, design, and imagery. We also manage and support a suite of sites for the Friedman community, including the main school site, New Entry Sustainable Farming Project, Feinstein International Center, The Feed the Future Nutrition Innovation Lab, the Innovation Institute, and many many more! Learn more about our services and our available resources for the Friedman School community.
This is an email that creates a task for our team using Microsoft Planner.
Web and Digital
Need a website for a project or initiative? We can provide varying levels of support depending on the funding and scope of your project we are here to help you find someone who can do the job. Here’s a quick list of how it works:
- Use sites.tufts.edu for smaller unfunded (or yet-to-be-funded!) initiatives, event-specific sites, very basic websites, class-specific blogs, or group-specific websites. This is a Tufts-supported WordPress environment that is meant to be self-service. If you need help with some major layout elements, we can provide limited advice and guidance, but these should be seen as a quick self-service way to get online with your content.
- Engage with us for help with suggesting contractors and developers. There is a preferred vendors list at Tufts, and we can help you evaluate bids on work and scope out technical needs to make the process of working with external folks a smooth process.
- Buying a domain name? Please let us do it for you using our Amazon Web Services domain name registration system. That way we can ensure that, even as team members on projects come and go, we have the keys to your domain for future management!
Communications, Promotional needs, Design, and Social Media
Have something you want to promote? Need engagement help? We can consult with you and see how we can leverage our school voice to provide amplification to your efforts. Self-promotion is not a bad word in our world! If you are comfortable putting yourself and your work out there via social or press mentions, we can work with you to make the most of your news.
- Have an event for which you’re trying to boost visibility and registration? Submit your event information using this form for inclusion on the School calendar, then you can start sharing the link! Please also submit the event to the larger Tufts calendar to get campus-wide attention.
- New publication, article, op-ed, award? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details. This email address will reach point people from Tufts news team, media relations, school-based communications, and HNRCA communications and we can figure out the best outlet for your news.
- Need design help or resources? If you are working on a project that will have long-term needs for frequent designs (events, social media, etc), please ask us to add you to our Canva pro instance. There is a small cost per person per year, but it’s an amazing tool that gets you a lot of great templates. We’re happy to show you around the design environment and work with you to create great and on-brand designs.
- Have a branding question? Want to use the school logo for a joint event, externally-facing publication, or other branded item/merchandise? Tufts launched a new branding site that might be able to help you out with some basic requests and we are also always here to answer your questions. Some logo uses require Tufts-level signoff and some we can approve in-house.
- Need a graphic design consultation? Please contact Sarah Cronin (email@example.com) to schedule an appointment and start your discussion.
- Need help with social media? While we can’t run your accounts for you (you’re the ones with the cool work!), we can work with faculty and staff one-on-one to review the options that would work best for you and your online comfort level. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
- If you currently use social media professionally, please follow us, connect with us, and tag/mention us online to help boost our profiles online.
- Promote yourself and mention us so that we can join the conversation!
- Work with us to make short videos. If we reach out to you for a recording session or if you'd like to consult with us on a video project, let's work together to plan how your message gets across to your audience. We can also help with editing and post-production. We're always up for new ideas so please contact email@example.com to get started.
Marketing (specifically recruitment marketing)
- What are we doing to get our school name out there? We work closely with University Communications and Marketing to run program-specific campaigns which include Google ads, landing pages, social media placement, content marketing (highlighting your stories at the School), and organic sharing of materials online such as graphics we create in-house. When you send your news our way, we can continue to highlight the incredible work you’re doing here. All of these activities work together to create a full image of the School out in the world.
- Have an idea to help recruit prospective students (aka future leaders in food and nutrition)? We are here to listen to your ideas and work to incorporate those that are on-budget and on-brand into our strategy. Are there specific outlets or events we should consider? Let us know!
- Need marketing materials when you travel for events or visit other institutions? Ask us for a variety of brochures, publications, branded items, postcards w/QR codes to take with you. We’ll make a package of materials for you.
Studio Space & Cameras
The Friedman School has a sound-proof recording studio room in Jaharis that is there for you to create audio/visual content. Limited support is provided for the equipment, but most post-production service requires a discussion with our team. We also have a Canon Rebel camera and an HD Sony video camera with accompanying microphones. Learn more about the studio and about available communications tools.
Images, Photography, Audio, Video
- Need an image of the school, a faculty member, or any another image?
Don't just right-click and save from Google Images! Between using Canva or sites like Pexels there are lots of ways to ensure that the photos you are using are appropriate and properly licensed. Want some advice? Just contact us with your questions. We have profile photos for faculty members, staff, and some student and alumni photos. Need to know when you need to get the permission of people in your photos? We can help with that too.
- Need to use a camera?
We have a Canon Rebel DSLR you can use for on-campus projects. Since it is our only camera, we can't let it roam too far, but you are welcome to request it by contacting Sarah Cronin. You may also check equipment out from the Tisch Library on the Medford campus and can make great use of the Digital Design Studio, also at Tisch Library.
- Need videos and editing?
We do have some video-editing capacity in-house at the moment and we can also help you find avenues for reserving Tufts AV help or an outside contractor for larger events or projects. Our ReadyCam studio can capture video of one or two people talking while sitting in front of the backdrop. If the project is externally facing and representing the School, then we can help with post-production. If it is for a different project, we have some capacity to help, but sometimes the post-production editing will be up to you. Seeking to create content for your online courses? There are plenty of teaching technology resources for Tufts faculty on their website.
Did you know that faculty and staff get access to some great software just by being at Tufts? Learn more about what you can access and download on Access Tufts.
- Need audio recording equipment?
We have a Blue Yeti Pro USB and XLR Microphone for easy and quality recording. Create a podcast, an audio track, or use to record audio for an interview in the soundproof studio.
Don't see what you need? Request it and we'll do our best to help you out. Our team is a mix of hybrid and in-person modalities, so we can be there for you when you need us.
Annie DeVane, Director of Communications
Working in a hybrid mode, in-person on Mondays and Wednesdays, for events, and for other appointments
Annie is responsible for major content strategies, planning the Friedman web landscape, and strategic communications planning for the school. Annie is experienced in digital project management and communication strategies.
P: (617) 636-6972
Sarah Cronin, Senior Communications Specialist
Working primarily remotely with in-person days for appointments and event coverage
Sarah creates much of the content (writing, illustrations, general design) seen on our website and other channels and also runs the main Friedman School social media accounts. She holds one-on-one consultations with any Friedman School member who needs help effectively using social media to promote and communicate their research to the public.
P: (617) 636-3718
Lisa Hann, Senior Marketing and Recruitment Specialist
Working in hybrid mode, please plan in advance if an in-person meeting is required
Lisa works on marketing and enrollment efforts for all programs and produces items for promotional efforts. She reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications and works closely on strategies with our Director of Admissions. She also meets with program directors regularly and on-demand to ensure that programs are getting in front of the right audiences. Please contact her to learn more about marketing and recruitment efforts.
Georgia Meireles, Communications Specialist
Working in hybrid mode, available for in-person recording sessions for event coverage
Georgia is busy creating short videos for our social media channels and our YouTube channels. She also runs our Instagram accounts and does much of the scheduling and content calendar for other channels as well. Have something great to post or have an idea for a short video? Send her an email with the content and information and she'll get it scheduled and posted!