If you are planning to graduate in Spring 2018, please schedule your Dissertation Defense to take place by the week of April 23, 2018.
Listed below is information about the academic process to Apply for Graduation and the required Graduation Checkout steps to complete by the associated deadline noted below.
STEP ONE: DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 1
- Apply to Graduate in SIS, Enter Your Diploma Name in SIS and Enter Your Diploma Mailing Address in SIS If You are Not Planning to Attend Commencement on May 20.
NOTE: If you don't add a name type specifically as a Diploma, your name will be listed as blank when we run a list to submit to the Diploma publisher.
If you are unable to schedule your Dissertation Defense by the week of April 23, 2018, please email email@example.com so your Application to Graduate for Spring 2018 in SIS is updated to Summer 2018.
STEP TWO: DEADLINE: MARCH 16
- Friedman Degree Requirements Worksheet: If you completed your Master of Science degree at Friedman, you are NOT required to submit the Degree Requirement Worksheet since it is already on file in your academic folder. However, please complete this Thesis Chair Approval of Intent to Graduate form and obtain your Thesis Chair's approval signature or email and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are not a Friedman MS graduate, please complete the Degree Requirements Worksheet for the class year that you started your PhD degree program (indicate "E" for an approved Exemption from a course or requirement). NOTE: If you do not see on your unofficial transcript your approved Exemptions listed at the bottom, please complete the Exemption Petition obtain the necessary approvals and submit to email@example.com
- Obtain your Thesis Chair's approval (by email or handwritten signature) of the Intent to Graduate Form and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your completed Degree Requirement Worksheet.
STEP THREE: DEADLINE: MARCH 16
- CITI Degree Requirement -Training in Protection of Human Subjects: Submit to email@example.com your CITI Completion of Certification PDF document if a current copy (CITI Certification must be within the last four years) is not on file in your academic file folder.
STEP FOUR: DEADLINE: MARCH 16
Complete ALL of these Qualtrics online forms:
- Qualtrics Online Survey to enter information for the Office of Alumni Relations
- Qualtrics Online Survey to enter how to pronounce your name when announced at Commencement
Qualtrics Online Survey to enter your word "Code" for the anonymous Exit Survey for Graduating Students
- Dean Saltzman will distribute the Exit Survey to graduating students at the end of the semester; it is a Graduation Checkout requirement.
STEP FIVE: DEADLINE: MARCH 16
- Schedule the date of your Dissertation Defense to take place by the week of April 23 to be eligible to graduate in Spring 2018.
- After scheduling the date for your Dissertation Defense with your Thesis Committee, please contact Patty Dawson and provide the date of your Dissertation Defense and to coordinate reserving a room for your Dissertation Defense. Patty will also update the PhD degree program progress tracking report with this completed milestone.
Please be sure to complete and submit the items listed prior to uploading the final copy of the Doctoral Dissertation to the ProQuest/UMI web site.
STEP SIX: DEADLINE: THREE WEEKS PRIOR TO YOUR DEFENSE
- Email Patty Dawson three weeks prior to your Defense:
- Approved Abstract,
- Title of your Dissertation, and
- Names and titles of your Thesis Committee members (i.e., John Smith, PhD or Mary Jones, MD)
STEP EIGHT: DEADLINE: PRIOR TO THE WEEK OF APRIL 23
- Conduct your Dissertation Defense and bring along these two forms for your Thesis Committee to complete:
- Doctoral Thesis Defense Form Report (and Part B, Thesis Changes Form)
- Approval of Dissertation for Binding Form
STEP EIGHT: NO LATER THAN MAY 11
- Submit the Doctoral Thesis Defense Form Report (and Part B, Thesis Changes) and also the Approval of Dissertation for Binding Form to firstname.lastname@example.org, and then please quickly complete the following items in the order that is listed below and complete no later than May 11:
Survey of Earned Doctorates: This can be done online via a two-step process. First, you must register for access to the web survey via the online registration site: https://sed-ncses.org. Upon registering, you will instantaneously receive an e-mail with the link to the web survey, along with your individual PIN and password. With this information, you can access the secure server and complete the online SED. When you complete the SED and receive a confirmation certificate online, please forward this confirmation to email@example.com.
ProQuest (online submission of final approved Dissertation): Friedman’s ProQuest/UMI website is http://www.etdadmin.com/friedmannsp. You must first create an account. Then, please review the online submission reference guide for Friedman students (on the ProQuest site). Follow the appropriate steps to upload your dissertation and complete the process.
Electronic Copy of Dissertation for Friedman's Archives: Please email an electronic copy (pdf) of your final approved Dissertation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anonymous Online Exit Survey for Graduating Students: Complete this required Graduation Checkout (enter your "Code" word when completing the Exit Survey). Dean Saltzman will email the Exit Survey to graduating students at the end of the Spring 2018 semester.
- Keys and Locker: Please turn in your PhD key to Isabel McFall in the Office of Student Affairs and if you have a Friedman locker, please clean it out and provide Isabel with your Locker number.
Share With Us!
All graduating students are invited to share their Directed Study Courses, Self-Designed Specialization Topics, and Cross-Registered Courses (and comments) through the online Qualtrics forms below—leave a little bit of your legacy behind for Friedman students following in your footsteps as they navigate toward graduation too!