Our first meeting of the 2019-2020 academic year will be held on Tuesday, September 17th from 12:00-1:00pm in M&V 240 (136 Harrison Ave).
Obesity Journal Club is a program of the Boston Nutrition Obesity Research Center’s (BNORC). Dr. Aviva Must serves as the faculty facilitator. The general format includes a presentation, critique, and (we hope) thoughtful discussion of a current article from the peer-reviewed obesity literature.
The Obesity Journal Club encourages a wide variety of articles spanning multiple disciplines. Some highlights from last year include:
- Postnatal exposure to household disinfectants, infant gut microbiota, and risk for overweight in children
- Effect of a Ketogenic diet on measures of central obesity and serum insulin
- Effects of curcumin on obesity-associated cardiovascular disease risk factors
Obesity Journal Club is participatory. We will ask for student and faculty volunteers to sign up and present an article of their choice at future meetings. Assistance in selecting an article for presentation is available. This is a great opportunity for students to practice their public speaking skills in a friendly, low-risk environment. Reserve your spot to present this year by signing up here!
- We meet from 12-1pm on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month from September to May in M&V240 (136 Harrison Ave.).
- Announcements for each meeting will come ~1 week in advance and will specify the paper we will review and critique (be on the lookout for a separate email with details regarding our 9/17 meeting).
- For local attendees, light snacks are served but please bring your own beverage.
- Faculty and students in the greater Boston area are welcome to attend and present. All sessions will also be available via WebEx.
- If you wish to be added to (or removed from) the Obesity Journal Club listserv, please email the student coordinators Katherine.Rancano@tufts.edu or Ariella.Korn@tufts.edu
- Presenter: Aviva Must, PhD
- Journal Article: To be determined.
We hope to see you all there!