Micah Risk, N13, is co-founder of Lighter, a Boston-based startup that provides expert nutrition information, grocery lists, and personalized, plant-based meal plans. Many Friedman School graduates have been motivated to start their own business and we'd like to make sure the School can create even more opportunities for our students to thrive.
The Friedman School's new strategic plan identified entrepreneurship for a healthier, sustainable, equitable food supply as a major priority. We are gathering successful entrepreneurs to serve on our new advisory council, highlighting current activities, and developing new programs that foster entrepreneurship and create a climate of innovation and discovery. Our new Program in Nutrition Entrepreneurship creates an ecosystem around food innovation where students, scientists, companies small and large, advisors, and funders can come together to create new solutions for a healthier, sustainable, more equitable food supply.
Our recent Tufts Nutrition Entrepreneurship kick-off event on October 18th, 2017 was a great success, take a look and learn more about the program and activities.
Our Director of Entrepreneurship Education, Dennis Steindler, Ph.D., is leading the development of activities and initiatives that illustrate our commitment to creating a culture of entrepreneurship and discovery including:
Courses and programs in entrepreneurship provide students with fundamental knowledge and skills
- Currently we are featuring the course Nutrition and Entrepreneurship, now available for Spring 2018
- We have already launched a new online certificate program Nutrition for Industry Professionals and Entrepreneurs
- Interactive workshops that focus in different aspects and applications of entrepreneurship
- Internships in a wide variety of innovative organizations focused in nutrition, foods, food systems and agriculture
- Mentoring by highly successful entrepreneurs, including Friedman School alumni and experienced entrepreneurs who are committed to working with Friedman School students
- An annual student pitch competition to commence in Spring 2018
- Potential partnerships and themed challenges with existing food accelerators
- A new network of companies and organizations across the food space committed to an ecosystem of food entrepreneurship and innovation