Born from the Friedman School Strategic Plan in 2016, the Public Impact Initiative seeks to translate science into action, bringing cutting-edge, actionable policy evidence, strategies, and interventions to policymakers and other relevant stakeholders to help address the nutrition crisis. Learn more about the group pushing to make strengthening nutrition research a major national priority.
Now more than ever before, Americans recognize the importance of nutrition. The food industry and the media are shifting to keep up with rapidly changing taste preferences and demand for healthier options. It is time for policymakers to make pace with growing concern for diet-related disease and make changes to federal food programs in line with the public interest. The window for meaningful change is opening, and the time for action is now.
The tide is turning in favor of nutrition, and Tufts is at the forefront of nutrition research and advocacy. As the oldest and largest graduate school of nutrition in North America, the Friedman School of Nutrition Science & Policy at Tufts University has the science, experience, entrepreneurial spirit, execution and networks to lead this change. See below for a sample list of our many partners, initiatives, and resources:
- 50th Anniversary of the White House Conference on Food, Nutrition, and Health
- Food and Nutrition Innovation Council
- New Entry Sustainable Farming Project
- The Feinstein International Center at Tufts University
- The USAID Feed the Future Innovation Lab For Nutrition
- Food Policy Review and Intervention Cost-Effectiveness (Food-PRICE)
- Leading with Nutrition: Leveraging Federal Programs for Better Health: BPC Report
Food is Medicine
Our country faces a national nutrition crisis. Our food system is a major cause of poor health, ever-rising healthcare costs, strangled government budgets, diminished economic competitiveness of American business, reduced military readiness, and hunger and disparities. Americans of all backgrounds see these problems, and are hungry for and value leadership to create lasting solutions.