Purchasing and Payments
Pcard & Travel Cards Purchasing Overview Vendor Setup Purchase Orders Consultant Agreements Invoicing Other Payments
Requests for a Pcard and/or a Travel Card are routed for approval through AccessTufts. Please be sure to review the Pcard and Travel card policies on AccessTufts and the Friedman School's finance policies before making purchases. Cardholders are responsible for abiding by the policies, even when delegating surrogate access to an administrative contact, and are responsible for confirming the funding source prior to making a purchase.
Each transaction needs to be reviewed for accuracy by the cardholder to ensure it is valid, then redirected to the appropriate funding source(s) and account code, add a justification statement and upload a receipt. Passively letting transactions sweep to the pcard default coding is not proper reconciliation.
Pcard transactions must be reconciled within 21 days of the purchase date.
Travel Card transactions should be reconciled within 30 days of the purchase date.
Please contact the Finance Office or the appropriate SRA should you have questions.
Review the purchasing of goods and services flowchart for details on the purchasing process.
Vendors are set up in PeopleSoft via PaymentWorks. Please work with the finance office to initiate a PaymentWorks invite as needed. Purchase orders cannot be generated and invoices cannot be processed if the vendor is not set up in PeopleSoft.
Contracts, agreements, statements of work, etc. must be reviewed, approved, and signed by the Purchasing office. Please submit all contract requests related to operating and/or gift funds through Jaggaer. Please work directly with your SRA on contracts supported by sponsored researching funding.
Purchase orders are required for all goods and services purchased via an invoice. Purchase orders are generated through the eReq module in PeopleSoft. A quote, agreement, and/or proposal is required for a purchase order to be processed and approved by the central university Purchasing office.
A purchase order must be set up prior to a purchase being made. Please work with purchasing to ensure that they have reviewed and approved agreements, SOWs, proposals, etc. prior to engaging the vendor(s) services. Make sure to confirm that funds are available in your budget for the expense prior to requesting a purchase order.
Purchase Orders Under $5k
Purchase Orders Over $5k
Purchase Order Requests
Purchase order requests over $5k will be submitted by the finance office within 7 days of the request. Please contact our office with questions.
Please work directly with your Senior Research Administrator on purchase orders funded from sponsored research funds.
All invoices must reference a purchase order number for payment to be processed by TSS. Invoices should be sent directly to TSS by the vendor for processing. Tufts uses Medius, an electronic invoicing platform to process invoice approvals and payment. Details on Medius and the invoicing process are outlined on AccessTufts. Vendors should be directed to TSS for payment inquiries. Please work with the Friedman School finance office should you require assistance with an invoice.
Check voucher requests are processed via PeopleSoft Financials. One staff member from each office or research team should have access to submit check voucher requests. Please be in touch with the Sharon Grant to determine if you need access.
Check Voucher Processing Steps:
- The requestor will initiate the check voucher request in PeopleSoft Financials.
- TSS will review the check voucher request and send a PaymentWorks invitation to the person to be paid.
- Once the person to be paid has completed their PaymentWorks registration, TSS will approve the check voucher. Both the person to be paid and the requester will receive confirmation emails.
- If the person to be paid does not respond to the PaymentWorks request, TSS will reach out to the payee. If there are continued delays, the requestor may be asked to reach out as well.
- TSS will issue payment in the next available check run. Check Voucher payments are typically issued on Thursdays each week.
Review the check voucher workflow for additional details.
Please note the following:
- Supporting documentation is required for all check voucher requests. Please refer to the Friedman School specific payment grid for guidance.
- Approval and payment status can be reviewed via the payment detail tab in the check voucher inquiry module within PeopleSoft.
- Check voucher recipients can indicate their preferred method of payment (direct deposit or check) during PaymentWorks registration. Please refer to the PaymentWorks FAQs for additional guidance.
- Please be sure to attach an Nonresident Alien Payment form to the check voucher request for international payees.
- Please attach a wire transfer form to the check voucher request as applicable.