Diversity is at the core of the Friedman School’s educational mission, as well as of the entire Tufts community. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and nurturing a diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The school supports an inclusive environment that celebrates a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives including race and ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation and gender identity or expression, physical ability, religion, geographic origin and language background, and socioeconomic status.
Friedman faculty, staff, and students participate in many activities related to diversity ranging from service on university-wide policy committees to the creation of student organizations such as the Friedman Justice League group. Read more about Friedman student groups and activities on our site, and learn more about Diversity at Tufts in general.
Friedman School Diversity Initiatives
- Diversity Financial Aid Initiative-Strengthening financial aid in order to build a diverse community of exceptional scholars is a continuing priority for the school. The diversity financial aid microphilanthropy project led by Friedman School Advisor Dr. James Rabb enabled several outstanding students to enroll at the Friedman School. These students bring rich and diverse perspectives to our community, helping to raise the academic experience of the Friedman school to even greater heights. It was supported by over 30 generous donors.
Core values of diversity at Tufts
- There is an inherent educational value in having a diverse learning community.
- We need to prepare our students for leadership in an increasingly diverse society.
- We recognize the importance of understanding the unique historical context of race relations in our country, and fostering a community that leads the way in addressing this legacy
Read more about Tufts University's commitment to diversity on the Office of the Provost's site. Information includes:
- University-wide programs and initiatives
- Programs at the graduate and professional schools
- Graduate student diversity
Tufts University-wide Resources
Visit our school policy page for more information on the Office of Equal Opportunity.